Tuesday 3 April 2012

Oh LoveFilm...

I think this is my new found addiction. It is cheaper than buying dvds and blu-rays at this point as I did seem to buy a lot before. This just means I can watch all those things I didn't want to spend money on. So I now have 220 dvd and blu-ray titles in my rental que, I'd be saying goodbye to life if I had one.

So anyway, the first two blu-rays sent to me were Valhalla Rising and Red Hill. So why were these my first two choices?

Well, Valhalla Rising was directed by Nic Winding Refn (director of Drive and Bronson) The bracketed films, I'd previously watched and liked/loved them. So judging from the trailer of Valhalla Rising, Refn would be gorging on some Peckinpah bloodlust. That is only for a little bit, the production is fantastic but it does have a similarity to Drive in the silent protagonist. Sadly I was actually bored, I understood almost all that happened. Don't go in thinking of Drive. The violence was awesome though.

Red Hill. The only other Aussie Western I've seen was The Proposition, unfortunately it's been a while since I saw that, I seem to recall lending it to a friend and never getting it back. But anyway

It is rude to call Red Hill generic, but it is definitely a paint by numbers job transplanted into a slightly different locale. That is not a bad thing, I really enjoyed it. It was predictable, but I like watching it. I had fun watching a film. That is something that as we grow older, the thing we forget about. We want logic and realism. I want films to be fun as well. There were some unrealistic moments, but at the same time worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment