Sunday 5 May 2013

Failure #1

This failure 1 and a very small one at that. Skipping rope. Something I taught myself to do in my late teens, because, well... Boxers do it. It took time till it became second nature to get the timing right. I've come back to it again and again, adding different things each time.

So I went back to skipping for a 7 minutes. Running would antagonise my recovering knee, so this was the alternative. I decided to try that trick where you swing the rope to one side of you and then bring it back to jump over it. That worked, tried the other side. Kept trying that to get it down.

Then I decided double jumps, took a lot of attempts and counting up to 10, prior to doing it. Mixed those moves into a routine.

Rested.

Why the fuck don't I try triple jumps. The success rate wasn't high at first. After my time for training was up. I just wanted to keep going. I can do this. Even my lungs couldn't stop me from trying over and over. It wasn't just determination that pushed me, it was seeing what was possible. If people can squats three times their bodyweight, I can do triple jumps.

I achieved my goal. It was impossible to stop, I can do more. So I kept doing triple jumps on their own. After however many times, I decided to see if I could do it and then keep going. I got that.

In all my life I didn't imagine I could do this. Is it a necessary skill, no. I think it adds nothing more to my life apart from the chemical high that comes from doing things like this.

Failure #1 - Triple skips

Jotted down 5 pages for my screenplay. I have learnt one thing from this. Never show anyone your first draft. I could possibly write another 4 today, depending on how the rest of the day goes. I can't wait to figure out my second draft, it will be fucking amazing.

What did I learned from skipping was to approach it not with numbers or time, but technique. This led me to focus on getting it right no matter how many times I failed. This is working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment