Thursday 3 March 2011

The first monlogue.

This is hopefully the first of many blogs. It is a way to write my thoughts out, to realise what I am thinking more clearly. Or as it is more commonly known my dear diary *cough* *cough*... I mean blog, my manly manly blog.

I'm currently a univeristy student in my final year, studying screenwriting. Ever since my final year has begun, I've started thinking "what happens after Uni?" and "will I just give up when it is all over?", fears that stem from a potential future of being too lazy to do anything with my life. That explains why I've moved so far away from home, it feels like comfort, somewhere to escape to and do nothing. I decided to throw myself into the deep end. Yet, I forsee my constant inaction pushing me into a life of mundanaity. Success is scary, failure is scary, achieving nothing is scary. Overwhelmed by a looming future of nothing.

I have decided, that I have until 2015 to become a successful writer. It is not going to be easy, but what is. I have no idea what will happen if I do not achieve this by my deadline which will probably be the four year anniversary of graduating from university. Top myself? Give up? Just feel disappointed as I get through the future bin sized ben & jerry ice cream tub? Join a cult? Start a cult?

...Actually the last one doesn't sound too bad...

I'm currently going through this bout of doubt, being ill at this particular moment does not help me with a clear mind either. I just have to tell myself one step at a time. I honestly want to be a great writer and over the course, I have improved drastically, putting much more thought into what I write. Making progress but it is hard to keep going, I'm not a believer in such things as "a good writer, writes every day". That kind of comment is certified bollocks, perhaps this is a true statement, good writers do this, perhaps great writers do not write every day. It is admirable that someone can write, day in, day out. It does not work for me though. My interest in writing comes and goes and my self-belief constantly withers and resurrects. Tuesday was the first time I had written anything in a script format since November (that I care to think about.)

Never in short supply of ideas, some nutty, some less so. The same can not be said for American cinema. Quite honestly I am bored of most American films, the only films that interest me this year are Attack the Block (UK) and Animal Kingdom (Australia). Originality has jumped out the window across the pond, and product placement and "built in audiences" are the new chairmen of film. The king is dead, the new king can fuck off for all I care. Irony of "high concept" still simmers as we get our latest heeps of tentpole films, the latest flavour is aliens and It's already past its sell by date. Feel free to blame District 9 and Cloverfield for that.Great films but will leave a bad legacy, it's not their faults. Poor, defenceless fillms.

Aristotle said that imitation comes before originality, or maybe he didn't. I might've imagined it whilst I was reading The Poetics, my mind does wander. Sadly, this does not seem to apply to Hollywood, the holy grail of cinema, and the holy grail hasn't been shiny in a while. Too many people sipping from the cup in order to stay relevant, modern, but we all know that there is plenty of plastic....  This analogy was found on a side of the road, hungry, please find it in your hearts to give it a home.

Not the best start but a start none the less, it comes across like your uncle's drunken ramblings on boxing day. Hopefully the next blog will make more sense. I doubt it, I seem to be sipping on the looney juice in order to banish whatever ails me.

I could edit this, or maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment