Sunday 27 March 2011

What to do...

Quite an eventful week, in between long moments of boredom.

Went to an idependant cinema to watch Submarine by Richard Ayoade, that was a cool experience. Nice to see something different to the usual ilk of British or American films. Had a guest lecture by a woman who focuses on the continuing drama side of the BBC and the BBC Writer's Room. In the first five minutes, she convinced me that my elitism over soaps would hurt my career than do it any good, so many talented people have started there and alongside radio, is the easier way to break in. I felt sorry for her. The first and second years were not so good at realising what she does, putting down soaps, asking about animation or documentary, mingled with talking between themselves.  

Our course leader dragged us to the pub for a drink, instead of staying in Uni and having nothing to do. Got a new pair of glasses, thick frames which help build up my pretentiousness, something that is required if you're a writer.

Handed in the first 24 pages of my tv drama. Man, I barely got it in on time. About two hours before the cut off for handing in work, I decided to do a third draft. There were minimal changes, but the way I operate is: start from scratch, type it up, don't copy and paste. I think I improved it, then legged it to Uni to print it out and hand it in, with 20 minutes to spare. My heart was pounding. This is probably the first time in a long time, that I am happy with what I handed in and almost exactly a year since I've handed in a script to be marked.

Yesterday, we were celebrating birthdays and getting drunk at a house part; there was some live music, a bonfire in a trolley and green paint. I drank a lot, had a good time and then almost automatically at some point, decided to leave. Why? For some reason, I realise when I have drank too much and go home, there I shall go through a routine of throwing up in the sink or toilet, this time both and then I fell asleep in the shower and then threw up there, then went to bed. No hangover! Always a plus. Can't be bothered to go and buy some more food, but I only have two apples and a sandwich to last me until tomorrow, also my room reeks of smoke, can't get rid of it, opened windows and everything.

Now I have three assignments in for May, lots of time to prepare and since I am spending two more weeks before two weeks at home, I think I can get the stuff prepared. Tomorrow will be the continuation of the screenplay's second draft, do that over the next two weeks and then depending if people are around, a read through and then a third draft, another read through. I also have to get round to drawing, I'm planning on some posters for a portfolio of my work. I like that side of it, Mad Men has that affect on me.

I now have a week of uni, without any lectures, go figure. But for now, I'll just go on X-Box Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment