Monday 26 September 2011

That Magnificent Sound of Britain

I'm accustomed to writing a blogpost a month. This month seems different. I'm listening to The Sensational Alex Harvey Band after watching the Old Whistle Grey Test on friday night with my dad. It occured to me that what I consider the sound of the country is probably radically different to everyone elses and so on, and so forth.

I grew up in a house where sound only counted as music if a guitar was being strummed in it, or the Rocky soundtrack. So I grew up on Beatles and 60s music alongside Queen up to a point. Then Sabbath, Maiden, Floyd, Zepplin and that ilk. The Clash, The Specials, Madness and more. Those are my magnificent sounds of Britain.

I know some people were put more modern music as part of their view on national identity, but to be far, I was never a fan of it in the first place. Kids my age were listening to Steps' 'Tragedy' and I was always the one saying the original was better (and it was). I was the one who knew the song my schoolteacher was singing in class and joined in (This was junior school), the song was Lazy Sunday Afternoon by The Small Faces.

The only two bands from my teenagehood have since split up, the only modern bands I followed. Hell is for Heroes and The Music.

I bet some people place Ultravox in their Sound of Britain... Craig David... Ick.




No comments:

Post a Comment