Thursday 1 March 2012

Don't be Elisha Gray

Elisha Gray is the person who invented the telephone, well, almost. Elisha Gray submitted his patent the same day as Alexander Graham Bell handed in his patent, by how many hours and minutes, I don't know.

Every since I read Aaron Sorkins play "The Farnsworth Invention" this has been in my mind.

Don't be Elisha Grey.

I think I'm going to print it out and put it on my noteboard.

I've been through it before, so have my friends. We come up with ideas, then within seconds, days, weeks etc. Someone else has made the idea and got it out there. There is a feeling of loss, the idea going up in flames usually.

It is becoming more and more apparent to me, that as soon as you have an idea, there is a clock ticking away until somebody else releases it as well.

Yes, two people did release a video that was similar to an idea of mine and it hurt. I'm in the planning stages of a project, I don't have a camera and haven't done any extensive planning. These people did and did it better than I would've imagined and better than I could've. But my idea is different in some ways and I don't think I have the budget that these people had.

 I will carry on with the project, despite this. Mine will be distinct, but it won't have the same significance (to me) that it once did.

I'm going to print out my new maxim now.

No comments:

Post a Comment