Sunday 6 May 2012

Almost true to my word

Today is an anniversary. On the 6th of May 2011, I handed in my screenplay as my dissertation. I have briefly scoured my blog from the beginning, and I might've said some things that I will not stick with.

No. 1: I said I would try to be a writer until 2015, if that didn't work out then I would do something (probably kill myself, but I wouldn't bother with that) probably be miserable and glum. I have things to write for a long while and when I become a professional is whenever, there is no end date.
No. 2: I would send off something on this day to the BBC Writersroom every year...

And here is why. Writing at University burned me out and I needed some time and still do to really sit down and write something worth while. I'm progressing by centremetres, not by miles, this is fine. I can't go forward with half-formed ideas, I just can't. So I have been slowly planning my scripts.

Anyway I wrote a sketch last week and slowly spent this week working on it. I showed it to a few friends and got some feedback. I have then uploaded the script onto a website and entered it in a competition. Will I win? That would be nice, it is a small competition and I have never entered one. The thing I'm glad about is that I wrote this sketch, and it worked fine. I don't feel any attachment to the script nor care what happens to it. This is a nice feeling, there are so many stories in my head that I am invested in, that it is nice not to give a fuck and throw something out in 30 minutes.

So I kind of sent something off, just not to the writersroom. What's the hurry, I might as well spend my time trying to get it right without people noticing than fucking up and getting plenty of attention.

That screenplay was a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment