Monday 14 May 2012

Running

Months of preparation and weeks of illness lead me to the 10k race that I took part in yesterday.

So, how did it go? Good question, I hated it and kind of liked it at the same time. Running alongside hundreds of people tome is a horrible feeling, it psychologically plays with my mind, because I run alone and rarely see other runners. If I do see runners, we are never running on the same route for very long.

A thing that annoyed me was the person who works at a gym to go up on stage to warm us up, I just turned on my ipod and listened to music. I'd already warmed up. But she was doing stupid movements that don't really prepare your body to go running. I and the rest of the Red runners (Club and faster runners) do our own warm ups, my usual jump squats and lunges.

So when I run alongside people, I feel like I've been running longer than I actually have. Ten minutes felt like forever.

Was it tough? I has been years that I have ran five miles at a single pace. But I have been running 5.5 miles every week with a interval timer, so the distance was not the problem.

I tried almost every one of my running tactics to finish and get a good time. I noticed I could beat my time when I finished the first lap at 20 minutes. After a massive hill climb and the long winding roads, I knew the route and I knew I could run the second lap easier. Immediately I started running behind someone moving at a steady pace, staying with him for about a mile. Then the second hill run begins, I always go slow up hills because if I go fast, then I'm wasting energy on the flat and prior to the hill there is a big dip down a road, so I just let gravity push me fast down there.


By the way, the worst thing about running in races is if you stop for a second, forty people will overtake you.

Anyway I did alright, beat my previous 10k time by about 3-4 minutes. My legs still hurt, I didn't have fun (well I did, but...)

No comments:

Post a Comment