Friday 28 June 2013

The lost art of not losing

I thought I wouldn't write about the whole blackmail thing I'm doing into writing more. I will make this one post and hopefully that will be it until next year.

The first week is almost up and I have two more days of writing. So far I have done fourteen pages. Not bad. I have really sucked some days and done well other days.

Yesterday I wrote a paragraph. I think Tuesday, I got four pages down.

I left it really late tonight. This second draft won't be anything special. I'm still working out the story and the structure.

When I write I either embellish the dialogue and spare the description or vice versa. It is liberating to know that it does not have to be perfect, it just has to have something that can become better or cut.

The third draft will get a treatment, and then I can make it tight and just refine it for a couple more drafts until I am happy with it and then throw it around to some mates and colleagues to get feedback.

I talked to my mate who is an aspiring proper writer (Novelist) last Sunday. I figured the next project after this will be a play, a nice little play with no real reason to exist. Then go off and write a web series with my mate Will. At least I will be have plenty of stuff to write for this year.

The pressure of losing money makes me want to just get the writing done. I should have done something like this since I left university. Allowing my skills to dull and just waste away what I could do.

There is a story about a Wing Chun practioner who was well known in Hong Kong. I will not be factually correct in this, but he stopped for a few years, maybe, five. One day he came back to train, thinking it would be easy. This was a man who put the time in, would sweat from training for hours, blood and cuts on his knuckles and leg cramps from the strict stance Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma, that would build up power. He struggled, he forgot that training even for a few minutes a day will keep your sense sharp.

Thinking about an action is sometimes good enough for remembering your skills. Leave it for too long and you'll be working your arse off to get back to where you were, rather than working to get further.

 The one thing I love more about writing at the moment is that I wouldn't care about getting paid for it. I'd hate to lose money for not writing though, that is a great motivator.

I won't lie, I will fucking hate some days and love others. Six months time, I will be hammering in nails into the table with my forehead. It won't work, because the nails will be the wrong way round.


No comments:

Post a Comment